SELF DEFENCE THROUGH BRAZILIAN JIU JITSU
Students of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu develop a true sense of self confidence and improved self esteem, while learning the importance of values, discipline, and control both on and off the mat.
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu teaches students to effectively defend themselves without punching or kicking, and also how to diffuse a situation without violence.
The behaviour, skills, and knowledge learnt at Mount Maunganui jiu jitsu are kept forever.
CHILDRENS BJJ INFORMATION
Children’s BJJ Fees:
· Two classes per week: $165 per school term
· One class per week: $140 per school term
* In the case of a student starting mid-term, prices will be amended.
* A family discount may apply if two or more children are enrolled. Please contact Mount Maunganui Jiu Jitsu for more information.
Students wear a `gi` during classes. These are available for purchase through the school or students can source their own.
Mount Maunganui Jiu Jitsu parking spaces are limited, please park in the two parks immediately outside or on the road.
SCHOOL DISCIPLINE BEHAVIOUR GUIDELINES
1. Be on time!
2. If you know that you are running late please inform the instructor so he can plan the class accordingly.
3. Late students should stand and wait on the edge of the mat to be greeted by the instructor and shake his/her hand.
4. Please tie your belt properly. If you don’t know how to, ask someone who knows.
5. Please bow before you step onto and off the mat.
6. Make sure you know where you are to stand in line with the other students at the start of class. Ask someone if you are unsure.
7. The instructor will give you a break for rest and to drink water. If you need to go to the toilet during the middle of class, please be polite and ask the instructor to leave the mat.
8. Practice techniques related to the position being showed by the instructor only.
9. If you watch a technique on the Internet, make sure that it is related to what you are currently learning.
10. Don’t ask a higher belt to spar with you. Wait to be asked. The higher belt has the choice of whom they roll with.
11. Never aggressively challenge a training mate or any of the instructors, You will be instantly expelled from this school.
12. At the end of the class shake the instructor’s hand and all fellow training mates.
STUDENT HEALTH AND HYGIENE GUIDE
1. Have your fingernails and toenails short. Fingernail scratches can get infected and long toenails damage the mat.
2. If you are sick, please stay at home to avoid spreading germs.
3. Make sure your “gi” is washed regularly and clean for classes.
4. Make sure that you a “reasonably clean”, nobody likes to be rolling with people with unpleasant body odour.
5. Traditionally you don’t wash your belt. Keep it in the sun when you can and in dry areas.
6. If you bleed on the mats make sure you clean the mats straight away. There is
disinfectant available for use.
7. There are tissues, hand sanitizer, spray bottle with disinfectant, a First AID kit, and nail
clippers all at the front desk.
8. When using the bathroom please do not wear bare feet. There are jandals available outside the bathroom door.
CHILDREN’S DISCIPLINARY PROCEDURE
It is the parent’s responsibility to inform the student of the expectations required of them at Mount Maunganui Jiu Jitsu.
• Listen and focus when the instructor is talking
• Practise techniques properly with your partner
• Take care of each other when sparring
• Don’t be afraid to ask questions (you can always ask the instructor in private)
• Follow the safety rules (e.g. no swinging on the monkey bars, no playing with fitness equipment)
• Enjoy your training!
Our disciplinary procedure consists of 3 steps:
Step 1: Verbal warnings.
Step 2: The student will be required to sit on the mat and watch the class – for 10 min.
Step 3: The student will be required to sit off the mat and watch the class until the class is finished.
• If the student reaches the step 2/3, the instructor will inform the parents.
• If the student reaches the step 3, 3 times during the same school term, the student will be expelled from the school, with no payment refund.
• Remember, we are a team and your teammates have the right to learn in class without distractions!