SELF DEFENCE THROUGH BRAZILIAN JIU JITSU
Students of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu develop a true sense of self confidence and improved self esteem, while learning the importance of values, discipline, and control both on and off the mat.
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu teaches students to effectively defend themselves without punching or kicking, and also how to diffuse a situation without violence.
The behaviour, skills, and knowledge learnt at Mount Maunganui jiu jitsu are kept forever.
CHILDRENS BJJ INFORMATION
Children aged 5 – 15 years old must wear white traditional Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Gi (uniform) to classes. These can be purchased from our gym or you are welcome to source your own.
Use MMJJ carparks or park on the road.
SCHOOL DISCIPLINE BEHAVIOUR GUIDELINES
1. Be on time!
2. If you know that you are running late please inform the instructor so he can plan the class accordingly.
3. Late students should stand and wait on the edge of the mat to be greeted by the instructor and shake his/her hand.
4. Please tie your belt properly. If you don’t know how to, ask someone who knows.
5. Please bow before you step onto and off the mat.
6. Make sure you know where you are to stand in line with the other students at the start of class. Ask someone if you are unsure.
7. The instructor will give you a break for rest and to drink water. If you need to go to the toilet during the middle of class, please be polite and ask the instructor to leave the mat.
8. Practice techniques related to the position being showed by the instructor only.
9. If you watch a technique on the Internet, make sure that it is related to what you are currently learning.
10. Don’t ask a higher belt to spar with you. Wait to be asked. The higher belt has the choice of whom they roll with.
11. Never aggressively challenge a training mate or any of the instructors, You will be instantly expelled from this school.
12. At the end of the class shake the instructor’s hand and all fellow training mates.
KEEPING CLEAN GUIDE
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a close contact sport; we need to be extra hygienic in order to protect ourselves and our team mates from sickness.
- Your FINGER & TOE nails should be clean and short; this is for hygiene reasons plus for protecting our mats.
- Please remove any jewellery that may be pulled out of the skin while rolling – OUCH!
- Do not come to the gym SICK.
- Wash your GI after every class.
- If you are not feeling so “FRESH’ before class feel free to make use of our showers.
- Dry your BELT in the sun (as a tradition belts are not washed).
- Anti viral/bacteria spray is available to clean BLOOD off the mats, please use with paper towels.
- We provide tissues, rubber gloves, hand sanitizer, wipes, ice packs and a FIRST AID KIT.
- Wear jandles/footwear to the TOILET and off the mats.
CHILDREN’S DISCIPLINARY PROCEDURE
It is the parent’s responsibility to inform the student of the expectations required of them at Mount Maunganui Jiu Jitsu.
Listen and focus when the instructor is talking
- Practise techniques properly with your partner
- Take care of each other when sparring
- Don’t be afraid to ask questions (you can always ask the instructor in private)
- Follow the safety rules (e.g. no swinging on the monkey bars, no playing with fitness equipment)
- Enjoy your training!
Our disciplinary procedure consists of 3 steps:
Step 1: Verbal warnings.
Step 2: The student will be required to sit on the mat and watch the class – for 10 min.
Step 3: The student will be required to sit off the mat and watch the class until the class is finished.
- If the student reaches the step 2/3, the instructor will inform the parents.
- If the student reaches the step 3, 3 times during the same school term, the student will be expelled from the school, with no payment refund.
- Remember, we are a team and your teammates have the right to learn in class without distractions!